Wednesday 30 May 2012

Angus Open Studios 2012 - part 1

This year Kirsty and I had grand plans for doing a big AOS tour again, but unfortunately she was quite poorly on the only day we were able to go out together.  It was scorching hot too, and the thought of travelling around in a stuffy car really didn't appeal to her.

However, she's a big fan of Love and Peas, aka Jenny Blair, who makes the most amazing books, so we did eventually set off for Tannadice.  Jenny has already encouraged Kirsty to make her own books and was kind enough to give her a book full of ideas some time ago.  

On Sunday she showed Kirsty several binding techniques and gave her lots of ideas for the kinds of materials she may like to use in future creations.




Jenny was exhibiting, along with a number of other artists and makers, in the lovely setting of Tannadice Church, beside a sparkling river - just lovely.


We only managed one other venue on Sunday, which was the nearby Oathlaw Pottery.  We were greeted by Maggie holding a large pitcher of lemon barley water to quench our thirst!

There really was no air movement whatsoever and the temperature was stiffling so it was very much appreciated.


She showed us her kiln and explained the processes involved in creating a wide variety of beautiful ceramics.


The bright and welcoming gallery space had all kinds of lovely pottery and I couldn't resist treating myself!



The pottery is open all year - check the website for opening times.

3 comments:

  1. Hee hee I took the same photo of that kiln! Treated myself to a wee circular 'spoon' and Ciara bought a fish. I have an Oathlaw Pottery jug I bout 20 years ago so it wa sreally nice to visit it's birthplace : )
    Love and Peas looks really interesting! So nice that Jenny has encouraged Kirtsy. Hope K is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fab to see Jenny and Kirsty in action again!! I expect Kirsty is bursting with ideas once more!
    Cool Kiln too!
    Great to be able to explore so many talented crafty people on your travels!
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh...I feel almost famous :)x
    Thankyou so much for the lovely write up, it was so nice to see you and Kirsty at Tannadice...next time I shall need to bring some lemon barley water..sounds divine :)x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading my blog.
I love receiving your comments :)