The lovely ladies from the Diva Design Studio (who were our tutors) were very happy to pass on their advice and encouragement via email, and we set about creating some more pieces.
Lots of time was spent stitching, wrapping marbles and dying the felt, and everything was going well although we were lacking in one piece of kit - a steamer to fix the dyes. The instructions for the dyes said that a microwave could be used instead, so we gave it a go...
... I suspect that whoever wrote the microwave instructions wasn't expecting the dyes to be used in conjunction with marbles and beads!!
One large marble burst or melted or something - hard to tell exactly what happened, but the felt was burnt all around it and several small charred holes had appeared. The smell was awful!
When rinsing out the dyes the charred areas fell away with a bit of rubbing, and after removing the marbles and other stitching, it didn't look too bad (from the front at least).
The holes were not intentional (but I quite like them!) and a large chunk is completely missing. I do like the colours though, and I'd already spent a long time on this piece, so I decided to finish it off with some beads.
Needless to day, next time I'm near the shops I'll be buying a cheap steamer!